- In Australia, it is not necessary to register copyright nor to put a copyright sign such as © for the work to be protected
- "..creators automatically have moral rights in the work they create." ...for 70 years in this country.
- Similar laws exist in most overseas countries- If you're in a different country, check your copyright laws!
- Be careful about movies,music and photographs off the internet.Read Copyright notices on websites and if you need to ask permission to use something, do so.
- Trademarks DO need to be registered. If you want to protect yours, see here
- Quoting text from other websites should be referenced to the original source
This information came from the Australian Copyright Council where you can find further information about copyright, intellectual property and trademarks.
Note that you need to check your own copyright laws if you are outside Australia!